Monday, February 29, 2016

ChatMS: 2/29/2016

Happy Leap Day!

Q1 – March is MS Awareness month. What will you be doing to spread Multiple Sclerosis awareness?

I have signed up for Walk MS this coming April (though my due date is just three days later, yikes!) and I intend to 'come out' to some more friends who don't know about my diagnosis.  Like my depression, I gather many will be surprised, as this is just as invisible.  If we don't let the people we love know our struggles, how can we hope to gain widespread acceptance and understanding?

Q2 - What have you done in the past to raise Multiple Sclerosis awareness?

This blog is my best way to raise MS Awareness - and I have volunteered in the past for the local Walk MS event!

Q3 – Do any landmarks or cities near you “Go Orange” (or red) for MS Awareness Month?

Rats - no.  But I certainly will be going orange this month with my brand-new, sparkly orange nail polish!!  :)

Q4 – What do you think is the best media to spread MS awareness?

Face-to-face, absolutely.  I have spoken with many patients about my MS and been thanked for opening up about my struggles with them.  Mind you, I don't ever discuss it with them as "poor me, look what I'm going through," but I do bring it up if they say they are alone with their invisible illness.  When we battle our illnesses together, we become a team, and they trust me more as a provider.  I wish I could connect with my own doctors the way I connect with my patients, because then I would really feel like I am being listened to.

On the other hand - digital medial makes widespread effect possible, so I can't complain about good 'ol FB, twitter, and blogging, of course! 

Q5 – When asked, how do you describe Multiple Sclerosis?

I say that my brain likes to eat itself!  I talk a little bit about the myelin sheath around neurons, and how MS is a condition that breaks down that myelin.  When scar tissue forms, or sclerotic tissue, it creates a short circuit in the nerve fiber.  So, literally, multiple areas of sclerotic tissue, or Multiple Sclerosis.  I say that it affects me in many ways, from debilitating fatigue to numbness and tingling, and that at 20 weeks pregnant, my MS half-blinding my right eye and it is still recovering.  I mention that everyone's MS is different, however, and that while there are some who are not as effected as I am, there are just as many who are much worse off.

Q6 – What items can be frustrating when raising awareness?

"But you look fine, so it can't be that bad."
You have no idea what this actually feels like.  I don't want to be one of those people who says, "I carry my MS with me every single day like a burden on my back," because honestly, some days are simply not like that at all.  On my great days, of which I usually have many in a row, I forget about the MS and just live.  It's an excellent feeling.  But when I am feeling shitty, I feel REALLY shitty, and I have to keep face about it because I can't be 'sick' all the time, even when I feel like it.  I've felt intermittently sick since late 2009.  Before that, I was a generally sick kid, always getting sinus infections and having ear problems.  I'm really ready to not be sick anymore.

The other thing is the unspoken truth of why issues like MS stay stagnant - if it doesn't apply to you, you're less likely to give a damn about it.  When I start telling people I know about my disease, I'm sure they'll start to care.  But you have to have a reason to get behind something.  People usually have a reason to get really 'into' wearing pink for breast cancer.  I want more people to find reasons to wear orange!

Q7 – What would you consider a successful MS Awareness effort?

Getting anyone that I actually know, in my real life, to participate in MS events or look at MS research.  And not compare the different people they know to me; have a healthy respect that everyone's case is different.  I can't tell you how sickening it is to be told, "Well, my friend so-and-so has had MS for forty years and she is just fine," I could just as easily retort that another friend of mine who is my age has been in a wheelchair for five years because of her MS.  Everyone's case is different.  I know you think you're helping when you only want to focus on the possibility that my pregnancy could make my MS disappear, but as that has been the opposite case, I'd prefer if you just shut up and listened to my struggle instead of trying to fix it to make yourself feel better.

Q8 – Where do you direct people if they ask for more information on Multiple Sclerosis?

I'll admit, I wish I did more to spread awareness in this respect.  But I have so rarely been asked for 'more information,' this feels like an empty question.

That's all, folks!! Have a great week -
MSloan 

No comments:

Post a Comment