Monday, February 29, 2016

Coming Out of the MS Closet

Tonight, I finally did it.  I finally just bit the bullet and stopped beating around the bush.  I let it be known that I had Multiple Sclerosis to my friends on Facebook - which is scarier than it seems.

This is what I said, and I hope that I can encourage my friends to keep spreading the word and the awareness of MS.  No offense, cancer peeps, but breast cancer doesn't need awareness, it needs a cure - MS truly needs awareness, or we'll NEVER find a cure!

Love all, MSloan
..
In late 2009, I started to notice something. I started to feel sick, all the time. I started to struggle to see the tv screen, and I had nearly constant headaches. In January 2010, I started to have daily nausea, a symptom that debilitated me and made me constantly paranoid that I would get sick in class. I got glasses and changed my birth control. I changed my diet and carried pepto bismol tablets with me everywhere I went. Nothing changed the nausea. It got so bad, I saw a movie with my friend and I made her sit in the theatre with me for about fifteen minutes before I felt well enough to stand up to leave. I once had to call Steve to come rescue me from the Safeway five blocks from our apartment because I literally could not stand up any longer, and I abandoned my cart in the pharmacy and hustled to my car.

It was a scary six months. But at the end of the semester, I felt better. I had cycles like this one intermittently for the next few years, rearing their ugly head again most noticeably in November of 2013. I had avoided the problem, and avoided telling anyone I knew what I was feeling, for fear that i would be told it was "all in my head," or that I was "just stressed."

Two years ago, on February 26th of 2014, I woke up and could not feel the left side of my body, nor could I feel my right foot. I tried to ignore it. Later that night, I called an old friend and texted my sister, and was told it was probably nothing, which was the response I got from the few people I told that day. But I knew what was wrong. I had known since that time that I call, "when I got sick," those early months of 2010 when I couldn't ignore my symptoms any more, and went from doctor to doctor, learning nothing, until my symptoms went away on their own.

I knew then, and it was finally confirmed in an Emergency Room visit on February 28th, 2014. I had Multiple Sclerosis.

Since that time, I have had symptoms that have come and gone, some that have stayed, and some that only arise when I get stressed. I have lost vision, I have lost words, I have had dizziness and now have constant tinnitus. I have had days when I could not get out of bed. I have had weeks where whenever I leaned over, I had an electric shock go down my spine, every single time. I was told my illness would subside while I was pregnant - it has not. You can't see my illness, but it is very, very real to me.

People always share "Save the Ta-Tas," and say that Cancer awareness is an important cause. While I absolutely support awareness of various cancers and illnesses, from autism to seizures to ataxia, Multiple Sclerosis is a largely ignored disease because of its invisible nature. You can't always tell when someone has MS. Did you know that many of the people that you scoff at for parking in the Handicap spaces struggle with MS, and it takes their every breath to walk just to the door? That they might not be able to feel their feet, or their legs, or their hips? That they might have a suffocating squeeze around their abdomen, a symptom inappropriately called the "MS Hug," which could bring them to their knees at any minute?

March is Multiple Sclerosis Awareness and Education Month. I ask that you do one thing - if you have a question about my MS, ask me. Don't make assumptions, and don't google it. Just ask me. Because the more people who are touched personally by this disease, the better the world will be - because awareness brings research, it brings discussion, it WILL bring a cure.

Wear ORANGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment