Monday, November 9, 2015

Chat MS - 11/09/2015

This week's Chat MS dealt with weight gain; I missed the live chat, but hopefully this keeps it going!
If we don't talk about it, progress has no chance!  Please feel free to copy/paste to your own blog to include those who don't participate in weekly Chat MS.

I haven't experienced weight gain as a result of my MS, but I have had other symptoms that are semi-related to this.  I will do the best I can to stay relevant with these answers!

Q1 - Although it may be overlooked, it’s common for MSers to gain weight. Have you experienced weight gain since diagnosis?

I was fortunate in that it didn't give me weight gain, at least not a noticeable amount.  Being pregnant is much worse for the figure :) but I am a stress starver instead of a stress eater, which might have been the biggest reason why instead of gaining weight, I lost weight after my diagnosis.

Q2 – Weight gain can be contributed to fatigue making it difficult to stay active. Would you say this contributed?

What kept me from being active the most was not fatigue, though that definitely played a part.  When I exercised, my numbness got worse.  I couldn't feel my legs - at all.  I felt very unstable.  It's really hard to run if you can't feel your feet AND your legs - I ended up doing a lot of yoga which didn't exercise me as well as I wanted it to, and I was afraid I might tear something because I couldn't self-monitor my limits as well.

Q3 – A side effects of steroids is also weight gain. With steroids commonly used for relapses, have you noticed this?  

Nah - worst effect with the steroids was no sleep, dead tired during the day, and altered taste.  Yuck!

Q4 – MS can cause weight gain, yet being overweight can worsen symptoms. Have you adjusted your lifestyle do to weight gain?

No comment here -

Q5 – Have you noticed a difference after changing your eating habits and/or exercise routines? If so, in what way?

I have to say - I had to change my eating habits because I was chasing the causes of certain exacerbated symptoms.  My MS hugs were nauseating and debilitating.  They would come in waves throughout the day.  I then found out my gallbladder was somewhat on the fritz - they wanted to remove it but I didn't understand why no gallbladder was somehow better than an organ that worked a few percentage points lower than 'optimal.'  I had odd lower-right pain that felt like an ovarian cyst - but no cyst.  It was very painful.  Appendix was fine.  Now, I'm doing okay without pain and I tracked down the cause of what I was calling MS hugs for so long - - an overload of almonds would set it off, as would my Centrum chewy multivitamins.  Who knew?

Q6 – Yoga is great for symptom relief, fatigue relief, and weight loss. Have you done yoga? Any particular yoga program?

I love yoga - but I wouldn't do anything other than gentle yoga until my numbness subsided.  It is so easy to hurt yourself if you can't feel your muscles saying 'stop,' and the whole point of yoga is to stretch.  You can end up giving yourself a problem you don't already have, so be careful!  But I have to say, when I started doing yoga (and my wonderful husband did it with me), I loved that I was moving muscles I didn't know I had.

Q7 - what other tips or advice would you give to MSers who are are experiencing weight gain?

My biggest advice would be to try not to stress about your weight on top of everything else you are dealing with.  Your body is trying to heal.  If your body gains weight after steroid treatment, the swelling will go down.  Don't panic, and definitely don't overwork yourself.  Save your spoons, so to speak, and listen to what your body says!

That's all, folks!  Love to all -
MSloan



No comments:

Post a Comment