Monday, November 16, 2015

Chat MS - 11/16/2015

Hey all!

I didn't get to participate one bit in this week's ChatMS on Twitter - but as someone who doesn't drink, it doesn't look like it really applied to me anyway!  Feel free to copy/paste the questions to put up on your blog.  Remember to keep the conversation going!

I'll put in a few rudimentary answers where I can, but again, I don't drink.  Love to all!

Q1 – Alcohol, depending on amount, can affect the central nervous system. Were you told to stop drinking alcohol after diagnosis?

I was never told this - but I do think it can exacerbate problems (like vestibular dysfunction if one is already prone to dizziness.)

Q2 – Some MSers report worsening symptoms even after one drink. Have you noticed the effects of alcohol being different?

It's odd, but I have!  Just as small as a dose of Nyquil and my whole body feels funny.  So I bet it's good that I don't drink otherwise :) 

Q3 – Some DMD treatments can affect the liver as well as alcohol. Do you take a DMD and still consume alcohol?

DMD means 'disease modifying drug.'  I was not on a DMD that was affected by alcohol but I was placed on an anti-depressant that couldn't be used with alcohol.

Q4 – When discussing different treatments was “Can I still drink alcohol?” one of your first questions?

Not even close - my first question was "can I still fly to my job interview next week?"  The answer was no - it was a busy month and my life was very much disrupted!

Q5 – Do certain types of alcohol affect your MS symptoms in different ways? For example, wine may not affect you, but beer does. 

No comment here

Q6 - Have you found any benefits to drinking moderately when you have MS?

No comment here

Q7 - When out with friends, do you avoid consuming alcohol? Why or why not?  

Not for the purposes of my MS; there are other things I already have to be cognizant about while out with people.

Q8 – Have you heard drinking alcohol may be beneficial to MS? Some studies have shown it slows progression.

I have never heard this, how interesting!  My husband laughed his butt off when I told him this and showed him the attached article.  I have heard good things about marijuana tinctures and MS but have not explored it myself.  At least, not yet!!

Love all! - MSloan

No comments:

Post a Comment