Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Short Circuit

The unknown is the scariest part of this process.  When things start feeling better, sometimes they are not, as I learned recently; I thought my flare up was over, and I was finally healing and at a reasonable baseline, only to find out my lesions were continuing to spread.  Yeah, there's the big one, but there's another one as well, and now one in my cervical spine that gives me bad tingles when my neck is arched forward.

Today the sensation is just... well, numbing.  An absolutely constant tingle in the legs that is distracting.  It feels like they are being rushed of blood, which makes you not want to stand or walk - psychologically, it can make you feel disabled even though your motor skills are exactly the same.  Like a short circuit in someone electronic, there's power going to the components, but they just aren't working properly.

It doesn't help that the oral steroid I'm taking absolutely tanks my blood pressure.  I have to maneuver a fair amount at my job, and after standing up after looking in someone's ears this morning, all I could see was stars. Now, since I've been dealing with trouble symptoms like dizziness, nausea, seeing stars, lightheadedness, and general malaise for the last four years, I have become a master of feigning being okay while chatting up a person - and then suddenly coming up with a legitimate excuse to leave the room for a moment.  But nevertheless, it is embarrassing, and it didn't put my day off at a good start.  Yesterday I had pretty hard chest pain in the middle of an appointment and had to just keep talking through it, and then later today someone wanted essentially the entire mechanism of hearing explained before their test - usually I absolutely LOVE that part, but today I was worried about passing out.  Just a bummer in general.

With the new issue of leaning my head forward causing more tinglies, it makes me apprehensive to say I'm doing better.  I have to put faith in these steroids, but at the same time, I am not so sure.  If I feel better without the drugs even if my MRI shows I'm 'getting worse,' which is the lesser of two evils?

I wish I got the medical bill in the mail already.  All this waiting is driving me nuts.  I know I can't afford it, but I would rather know just how much I can't afford, know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment