Sunday, April 13, 2014

Lhermitte's Sign

Cool!  Being a scientist can make some of the more interesting parts of MS exciting, despite how disconcerting it can feel.

Today, I had my first experience with Lhermitte's sign, a shock-like sensation from the back of the neck through the extremities, brought on by a particular flex of the neck.  I had honestly been keeping my eyes out, or senses out rather, since I first read about it after my diagnosis.  I wasn't sure I would ever feel it, as many MS patients never do.  So it was surprising today to say the least!

I was at the infusion center for my last dose of Solumedrol.  The tapering drugs they gave me for this upcoming week are like a bad math problem, but at least they are packaged in such a way that is easy to understand for the most part.  But that's irrelevant to this post, back to the sign!

I was leaning forward to grab something on my iPad while at the infusion center, when I noticed that my legs became much more numb when I leaned my neck in.  Just bending forward didn't do it, it had to be both the back and the neck, like tucking my chin to my chest.  It isn't painful, at least not what I've got not, just strange to manipulate the dizziness I was feeling by moving my neck.  When I stand, if I tuck my neck downward, I feel nothing - I can only make it happen while I'm already sitting down.  I don't know what my last MRI report said, but this is usually indicative of a lesion in the cervical spinal region.  SO I must have one of those too, seeing as the nerves freak out when I move my neck - but still interesting nonetheless.

Have you ever had an interesting experience with a 'typical' ms symptom?  Did you know what it was the first time you felt it? 
- Margo

No comments:

Post a Comment