Thursday, February 22, 2018

Where the Boat is Floating Now

Ok, I have taken a Norco, I'm real calm.

You know, this medication definitely has a euphoric effect to it after the pain killing kicks in.  I haven't taken one in about a week, as I'm trying to make sure I don't end up with a much bigger problem of addiction at the end of all this.  But it definitely enhances the usual happiness I feel at the end of the day when I spend time at home with my daughter, my kitties, and my husband.  It's like putting a magnifying glass on my usual "happy" level and turning it up.  My daughter always makes me smile and laugh, but when I'm "under the influence," I almost want to break down in tears.  I want to share it with everyone.  I make a lot of Facebook posts when I'm on the Norco.

The best one tonight?  I took a bite of my Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream and nearly fell over with delight.  I haven't eaten that kind of ice cream in a long time.  Now, I probably would have super enjoyed it anyway because of what my diet has been forced to do lately, but I know that the extra "kick" I felt was due to the Norco.

I had 2 days of colon prep before my colonoscopy a week ago.  This time, the cleanse was successful - probably in no small part from the huge amount of laxatives I took three days before, the start of the prep two days before with the liquid diet, and my diligence to just choke down the rest of that drink.  I went in to the appointment totally prepared and calm.  I was even joking with the nurse who helped me out - it's amazing how different the experience is when you know that to expect, and that you're actually ready!

My gastroenterologist came to see me before they totally drugged me out, and she let me know that my MRI results showed a "long fistulous track."  When I think back to my lower-right quadrant abdominal pain that plagued me in late 2014 (see November 2014 posting for details), I now know that it had to be the beginning of this.  I have since read my abdominal MRI report and, while not as easy to understand as the brain MRIs now that I am familiar with the terminology, it seems evident that the end of my small intestines has a hole that leads into a pocket of fluid, and down into the dome of my bladder.  The entire top of my bladder is inflamed.  There is just NO WAY this all started from this past December when I had some abdominal pain for a week - while that might have been the tail end, I can't think that the great pain I had November 2014 is a coincidence.  They never found anything, and I think the ultrasound tech was really concerned during that test because she saw something she couldn't understand.

I'm not stupid.  I'm a doctor!  HIDE YOUR CONFUSED FACE BETTER, PEOPLE!

Otherwise, I am living with things ok.  The biggest trouble is what happens after the colon cleanses - I have to be on a liquid diet for a few days, which makes my bladder feel back to normal!  Unfortunately as soon as I introduce solid food again, all my bladder symptoms start back up.  It really hurts to urinate again; not at the start of the stream, but at the end, like the contraction is painful against all the inflammation.  Debris in the urine, and cloudiness, like before my colonoscopy failure a few weeks ago.  Today I had sharp and dull pain along the area where I know the fistula is now (coincidence that its the same spot as a few years ago?  I think not!)  I'm virtually incontinent when I feel an urge to go - when I actually make it to the restroom, my body just stops wanting to hold it, so I have to get my pants off NOW NOW NOW!  So embarrassing.  Thank God for pads!

So, on to another day!   Love to all,
MSloan

No comments:

Post a Comment