Monday, March 21, 2016

ChatMS 3/21/2016

Hey all!

I have less than a month until this baby's due - whew!!  I finally heard from my neurologist, and we're going to do another baseline MRI when she is born, with contrast.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I don't have active lesions, and I can be put back on a DMD rather quickly.  I had hoped that I would breastfeed for much longer than I'll be able to, but hey - not all children are breastfed, she won't die poor and lonely because of it, and there are millions of formula babies that do just fine. 

We'll be okay.

This is tonight's ChatMS - it is all about "D-Day," or the day we were diagnosed!  My blog has chronicled this well, but I'm happy to answer these questions.  I didn't get a chance to participate live, but feel free to copy/paste the questions on your own blog to keep the conversation going!


Q1 – When did you get the Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis? At what age? 

February 28, 2014.  I was 24 years old, but had been symptomatic since late 2009, early 2010.  Two days earlier (that Wednesday) I woke up with numbness down my entire left leg, and my right foot.  It took me three days to get to the hospital; I had tried calling a few neurologists, but none of them called me back.

Q2 – Were you aware of what MS was at that time?

I knew more than most.  I see MS frequently at my job, and just before this happened, I saw an influx of MS patients.  I was diagnosed during what I later learned was called "MS Season" in the neurology office I went to.  It frequently flared at that time of year, which is odd.  The first time I began learning about MS was in early 2010, when I first started experiencing symptoms - I was told explicitly during that class, "Don't go home and think you have this, because you'll think you have this!"  And so I ignored what I was going through until I couldn't anymore.

A couple months before my D-Day, we got a new front office person at my work.  She was hired, and then told us that she had MS, and had to miss a few hours at the end of every month to get her infusion (I later learned she was on Tysabri).  My heart skipped a beat when she told us she had MS - I felt like it was yet another sign.  She was the first person to "figure out" what was going on with me, and was the first one I confided in that I thought I had MS, besides my husband.

Q3 – Where were you when you got diagnosed? Was anyone with you?

It was a trip to the ER that did it.  On the off-chance that it wasn't MS, I didn't know how serious the issue could be - thrombosis, tumor, nerve pinch.  I called the two most important people in my life: my husband and my sister.  I later got a lot of flack from my mother for not inviting her - yet more support for why I didn't do so!  They sat with me for the entire almost 8 hours of waiting through tests, MRIs, no food, stress... I will forever be grateful.

Q4 – What were your initial thoughts after hearing “You have Multiple Sclerosis”?

"Great, I knew that, what do we do about it?"

Q5 – What were the reactions of your family members and/or friends?

A lot of silence.  The few friends I told that day (because I asked about neurologists and what they thought I should do when no one called me back) were somewhat surprised, but then clammed up.  A couple well-meaning friends started offering advice about my diet, exercise routine, medications.  My husband was so thankful it wasn't a brain tumor that I don't think it sunk in.  My sister, who was so helpful to be there but doesn't handle things like this very well, simply said nothing.  I know she was very uncomfortable about it and didn't really know what to do or say.  It wasn't long before she started in with the diet thing, too.  I'm glad that phase is pretty much over!

Q6 – What did you do to learn more about MS after you were diagnosed?

You know, as I had seen so many people with MS, the physical disability part was something I was somewhat spared from.  Which is odd.  I didn't really understand the reality of what COULD happen until a fellow student said, "I don't know a whole lot about MS, but I know that people with MS eventually can't walk."  That terrified me, I had never heard that - I refuse to believe that, because it simply isn't reality.  Yes, it's a possibility.  But it's also possible that I will be hit by a car tomorrow.  Time will tell, I guess.

I also had to learn a lot about the realities of feeling bad because of the treatment instead of the disease.  I absolutely would choose numbness and tingling over a "Solly Headache" any day, especially with how the steroids affect my tastebuds and sleep patterns.

Q7 - If you could go back and tell yourself one thing on your D-day what would that be?

"Reduce your stress, keep this to yourself, and know that things can always get worse.  This isn't the end of the world, just the beginning of a new understanding of yourself.  You are validated, don't tell others and make a big deal of it - because they won't comfort you.  Comfort yourself."

Q8 – What tips or advice do you have for those newly diagnosed or going through the testing process?

See above.  This truly is the best advice I can give.  You may be more disappointed with the lack of reaction from your friends and loved ones than you ever would from comforting words or actions - they don't understand what you're going through, and they may not be able to support you in the way you think you need.  So find support with other MSers, not your friends; and do NOT tell prospective employers.  A week after my Dx, I lost a job interview because I was honest about why I couldn't fly out right away (I had been advised not to fly that first week).  So sad.

Love all!  MSloan

No comments:

Post a Comment