Monday, February 8, 2016

ChatMS 2/8/2016

This week's ChatMS was all about relapse triggers - something I have learned a lot about.  Remember to cut/paste the questions to put on your own outreach, and spread the word!


Q1 – The cause for MS is unknown, but there are theories. What do you think is the biggest “trigger” of MS? (Genetics, diets, etc.)

This is an excellent question.   Some people believe it is all about the environment you grow up in, but MS is really an overactive immune system, not one that is under-functioning.  It would make the most sense that it is somehow brought on by a virus caught at a young age that matures in young adulthood - in fact, there may be several different subtypes (more than the differences between primary progressive or relapsing/remitting) as we currently know them.  I grew up in a very sunny state and spent plenty of time outside so I don't believe the Vitamin D deficiency piece, more that the environment is home to many different insects and viruses that we have yet to identify.



Q2 – What have you found that supports your theory?

See above - where I grew up debunks some of the theories about Vitamin D.  But with the similarities between Lyme Disease, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis and Lupus, the most obvious connection is a bacterial or viral cause that is spread early.  I was a very sick kid, an underactive immune system is unlikely to turn on you suddenly without cause, and it makes more physiologic sense that a virus would reactivate in times of stress or heat, which promotes multiplication.

Q3 – When it comes to relapses we know several things can be triggers. What seems to trigger relapses you have had?

Stress is the number 1, number 2, and number 3.  Absolutely.
We have a tendency to forget that our brains interpret stress differently than our hearts do, if that makes sense.  The things that make us feel 'stressed out' can be negative, but our bodies respond to positive stress the same way.  My biggest relapse happened right before the most important month of my graduate career - I was performing and speaking at a conference, I had several job interviews lines up, I was presenting a poster at another conference, and had 4 plane trips planned.  Right before this, my left side failed.  I had to cancel the first trip and, therefore, the first job interview.  I lied about the rest.  In retrospect, I should not have gone to the first conference, either, but I couldn't jeopardize my future by passing up those opportunities.  None of these things made me feel 'stressed out,' but it still hit me harder than anything I could have imagined.

Q4 – What have you done to avoid these triggers?

Honestly?  In my case, it was moving away from my mother.  She is still the most major stressor in my life and it is not coincidental that when she upsets me, I have flares.  When I was first diagnosed, I 'failed' steroids twice, which is to say I had 2 rounds of Solu-Medrol and my lesions tripled in size or grew new ones.  I have yet to meet many people who have failed the treatment like I did.  Not a coincidence that my mother was more present in my life that month because of my diagnosis.  It is very important that I am aware of her effect on me.

Q5 – Some mentioned this already, but stress can affect MS symptoms and relapses. How stressed are you, currently? (Scale of 1-5)  

I am about a 4.  I'm pregnant, what can I say?  :)


Q6 – Over-heating your body can also be a trigger of MS symptoms/relapses. On a scale of 1-5, how cool would you say you are? 

I'm about a 2.  Heat absolutely effects me.  I can take a bath or a hot shower and be okay because it isn't a really long time, but a really hot day is like a nightmare to me.  I have always been heat sensitive, even as a kid.  When I am having an active flare and try to exercise, the rise in body temperature means I cannot feel my feet at all and I get 'springs' in my legs.  Very disconcerting and I worry about falling and hurting others.

Q7 – Has your neuro given you any tips/tricks to help you avoid triggers of MS symptoms/relapses?

 HA!  Does anyone's neurologist really care that much?  My neurologist basically said "I don't know what to do with you" when I had my 2nd flare while pregnant.

Q8 – What tips would you give to others to try and stay clear of possible triggers?

Become aware of what triggers you and avoid it, even if you think it would be worse to be without that trigger.  I didn't want to get away from my mother as badly as I really needed to.  She raises my blood pressure and gives me so much upset.  If it's really hot outside, I deliberately plan to do low-key things that don't involve going outside too much.  I haven't found any food triggers, but I do know that certain multi-vitamins give me MS Hugs.  It is hard at first to eliminate triggers, but is well worth it.  Good luck!


That's  a wrap, all!  Thanks for reading!  - MSloan 

No comments:

Post a Comment