Saturday, March 29, 2014

An Open Letter to Unsolicited Advice

I know you're trying to make me feel better.  I think it's great if someone you know or someone you know knows someone else who tries XYZ to keep theirs at bay.  You're one of the few people IRL that knows about this problem, so of course you feel the need to downplay my 'type' and tell me that it 'isn't so bad.'

I finally feel validated that I'm not insane, and now you want to tell me it's 'not so bad'?

I'm not trying to be difficult, and I am not trying to feel special or more injured.  But I am not the people that you know, the people that you say cured their problem and you would never know it.  Of course you would never know it, this problem is invisible.  Have you asked them to tell you what they actually feel every day?  Did you not notice that I haven't volunteered information, or talked to you about it?

Did it occur to you that I'm not handling this very well?  Oy.  In my profession, we thrive on counseling and communication.  So I feel trapped in a box to have this sense that I can't talk about this problem because so many people think I'm bullshitting.  I'm not bullshitting.  Who the hell would make this up?  What kind of a sick person do you have to be to pretend to have a degenerative illness?

I don't want to talk about it like that, I don't want to doom my psyche with negative thinking.  But sometimes negative thinking is the reality, too, isn't it?  Sometimes we have to consider the worst to move on for the best.  And sometimes we have to face the facts that our baselines are not 'normal,' that sometimes exertion of any kind on the body is interpreted by the brain as 'stress,' and it makes things worse instead of better.  If I could run my tingling into the ground, I would.  But I'll be honest with you, physical exertion right now makes me feel funny.  It isn't enjoyable.  And I mean all kinds of physical exertion, which is terrifying, and upsetting.  How do you think my husband feels?

I don't want to hear any more about how someone you know keeps hers away by watching what she eats and exercising.  I don't know why this infuriates me so much, but it does.  It tells me that you think I'm not doing enough and if I change something, I'll feel better and everything will be okay.  But I'm up against the biggest change I have ever made in my entire life, and this is not counting this frick of an illness right now, and I'm scared.  I'm scared about all the regular things going on beyond if I'll feel well enough to get up and go in the morning.  Because it is THAT unpredictable.  I could wake up, go to work, and feel shaky and nauseated all day for no reason.  You think I didn't try going to the gym?  You think I didn't try eating differently?  You think I didn't do everything I possibly knew how to do to make that go away?  What an ignorant idea, that I'm as smart as I am, but too stupid to take care of myself.

Do you have any idea what it's like to feel like you can't sit through your workday, and be terrified?  Have you ever had to explain to a patient that your hand is shaking because the instrument you're holding is heavy, when you've never had that problem before?  I'm glad I'm not a damned surgeon, for crying out loud!  Stop making assumptions about my lifestyle and how this so-and-so is doing a better job!

Deep down, I know you say these things because you need to feel less worried on my behalf.  That's great, thank you, I appreciate that.  But understand that right now, I just need to feel cared about, not downplayed.  The light at the end of the tunnel for school looks bleak and hard to reach right now.  And telling me that I'm not doing a good enough job of keeping my body running - - it just makes me feel bad about myself.  I already feel bad enough about myself on a regular basis.  I do not need someone to remind me that if I took better care of myself (and, btw, I do the best I can for the circumstance) that this wouldn't be happening to me.

....
The truth of the matter is, I don't think about it all the time.  I write this blog in the weak spots.  I feel a need to get my thoughts out so they're not trapped in my head, so I don't rant on my FB page, so I don't scream it out loud.  I am frustrated and scared at what lies ahead - but I don't have time to be worried about the status of my neurons.  I have had this problem for several years now, kept it 'at bay' for some time, until a month ago when my whole body went on hiatus.  Living with the symptoms?  Eh - it is 'not so bad.'  It is scary and horrible and uncomfortable, but it's livable.  I often didn't tell anyone that I didn't feel good - after years of people telling you it was nothing, why bother with new people?  I am sure that when I start this drug, some things will change.  Maybe it will make me feel normal again.  Maybe I will be able to get back to the painting I worked so hard to cultivate this year.

My word for 2014 is 'joy.'  I am not going to let a self-destruct button take that away from me!
Rant over, thanks for listening.

Margo

No comments:

Post a Comment