Sunday, March 13, 2016

Optic Neuritis - The Saga Continues

Anyone who has ever had to deal with Optic Neuritis will tell you that it isn't clean-cut.  I have good days and bad days with it, and now that it's been 15 weeks since it began, I'm starting to come to grips with the very real possibility that I may never really get my eye back the way it was.

As an artist, this is somewhat mournful, since I don't see detail the way I used to.  Even with both of my eyes together, there is a constant sense that something just isn't right.  Being able to create with your hands is all about how your eyes judge distance - and right now, they can't do that very well.   I haven't painted near as much lately, I have only created three paintings since it happened - nowhere near where I wanted to be.

How I'm seeing, Good Eye Vs. Bad Eye:





When you have something like ON, once you mention it, that's all anyone wants to hear about it.  When it first occurred, my coworkers would ask how my eye was, for about the first two weeks.  When it didn't improve, they stopped asking.  I haven't been asked about it in over 10 weeks.  Not that I need someone to ask about it all the time - but it's another reality that can feel lonely about this condition.  I don't talk about the constant numbness in my legs and feet, the MS hugs, the nausea, the eye, because it makes them so uncomfortable.

That's a consistent theme in my posts because it is by far the most common reaction I have received in regards to my MS - discomfort from others.  It's awkward.  No one wants to talk about it, and it isn't real to them.  It can't "be that bad."  But of course they feel that way, they don't have to live with it!  It just isn't real.  And honestly, it wasn't real to me in regards to my patients until it reached a certain point.  Now I am so much more empathetic when they tell me they are struggling with things they can't see - instead of initially wondering if they are lying, I am now a bit gullible!

My positivity blog is helping with how I deal with the day to day.  I wish I wasn't facing drama at my workplace, but I am trying to rise above it.  It is so petty to fight with one another as adults, isn't it?  There are so many much more important things.

I hope you can use these images as a way to explain to people around you what you're experiencing, or at least give them an idea.  I know everyone's ON is different - this is very close to what mine actually looks like.

About halfway through March - MS Awareness Month is still upon us, keep the conversation going!
MSloan


No comments:

Post a Comment