Saturday, April 2, 2016

At The Bitter End -

Happy Saturday, Everyone!

I'm having a bit of a dilemma.  I need some advice on MS meds to start after pregnancy.

I know I've gone through all of them that were offered to me before, but now that it's been over two years, there have been many changes.  Since I started taking Gilenya, there was research out about it causing PML, and you now can't miss even a single dose before you get dragged back in for monitoring.  Now they can monitor you from home, but that seems so unnecessary to me.  Back then, I could have missed my pill for almost a month before my doctors would freak out.  I loved Gilenya, I didn't have any noticeable side effects from it, and it was so easy as a once/day pill - - but I don't know if my neurologist is as committed as I am to getting the pretest stuff completed so that I can take it.

I am not up for taking Tecfidera, because I am already prone to nausea as a result of my MS, and the absolute last thing I want is a drug that could potentially give me that side effect for a long time, as well as flushing.  It just seems like more of a pain in the butt than I am willing to deal with.

I was initially recommended for Tysabri but I am JC virus positive.  Not sure I want to risk PML and there's the 2nd pregnancy question, which affects the next one, too.

I looked into Aubagio, and while it seemed appealing at first, finding out that I would have to stop it a full 2 years before planning to get pregnant again scared me.  Granted, I may not ever get pregnant again, this has been an incredibly stressful and painful experience and the fact that I can't protect my brain or my baby with medication while pregnant  just terrifies me too much.  I was told up and down that there was so little risk to both of us with me getting pregnant because my MS could be expected to fall dormant, only to experience several distinct flares.  There's no way to know if I would happen again ... but seeing as I literally cannot see effectively out of my right eye anymore, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

This is going to be a hard call, because I know many of my other options are shots.  Needle fatigue scares me, but I'll do what I have to do.  Any advice on experience for these things is so appreciated!

Whew.  At 37 1/2 weeks pregnant, right now I am noticing how bad my eye is doing today.  I am getting off/on feelings of numbness in my left calf.  I will be having an MRI shortly after my daughter is born, and I'm putting it out there right now that I will be beyond shocked if I don't have any active lesions at that time.  But I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, and that I'm just having recurring symptoms.

In audiology, people who have bad vestibular neuritis and don't receive treatment often have permanent hearing loss.  This is essentially the same thing that happened with my eye.  I am not at all happy about this end result, but I have to admit that there is a little bit of "I told you so" that I feel towards the folks who kept trying to assure me that my eye would go back to normal because their "friend with MS had the same thing and it went away after a few weeks."  No, my MS is not vanilla flavored, I have fucking Eggnog flavored fat free MS that's on limited supply and it is very different from your friend's disease.  That's great that she had ON and it got better, but mine didn't.  This wasn't because I had a poor attitude, it was because I didn't get treatment!  There is a real consequence to not acting on bodily inflammation, I didn't freaking make it up to make you feel bad.

Oy.

So back to square one.  Advice and experiences from your medication experience is welcome.  I know I will get to discuss all options with my neurologist but as I got the impression he wasn't on the same page that I was, some ammunition with more information will really help me out.  And prayers for the babe, she's due on the 20th but I hope she'll arrive any day now :)

Love, MSloan

1 comment:

  1. I have thought long and hard I take no more My mother had ms as I was growing up ,yes every case is different! It's not a matter of $$for me I have installed, it's a matter of we're all test rats IDK but the side effects were bringing me down and my life plain sucked I stopped all the ms drugs 9 months ago and have lost weight sleep right urinate right ,just getting much better ,better than I been in last 3 yrs! Like I say each to their own .
    LIVE AND LET LIVE ! Is my motto

    ReplyDelete