Wednesday, March 16, 2016

MSminds Chat - 3/16/2016

I found another chat on Twitter today - this one is called MSminds! 
Feel free to copy/paste the questions to your own blog, and keep the conversation going :)

Q1) Has MS had an affect on your mental health?

Yes and no.  I have always suffered from depression and anxiety, but it definitely has spikes.  It hit a huge peak right before my big flare that got me diagnosed.  However, I credit my ability to "handle" the situation to my depression - I was so emotionally numbed in mood that I wasn't able to truly internalize the situation.  Saved me a lot of pain.

Q2) What has your experience of mental health support from healthcare professionals been like?

Surprisingly good, at least as far as my MS is concerned.  My first neurologist asked me if I wanted to be put on an anti-depressant.  It was the first time I had ever been asked by a doctor, despite years of reporting issues with depression and anxiety.  I initially said no - but knew that I needed to do something.  I told her, "Actually... actually yeah, yeah I do need an anti-depressant.  Thank you."  Best decision I ever made.

Q3) What do you do to boost your mood?

 I have started writing a "Positivity Blog," every single day.  I include one thing I like about myself, one thing I do well, one thing good about the day, one good thing I'm looking forward to tomorrow.  Really is starting to help.

I also am an artist and a musician, and I participate an awful lot in what I call "art therapy."

Q4) Do you use any digital tools or apps to help look after your emotional wellbeing?

My blog!  http://itoocanlovemyself.blogspot.com/

Q5) What more could be done to educate MSers about looking after their mental wellbeing?

Let them know that there is nothing scary about medicating for depression/anxiety/etc.  I really think my anti-depressant did so much to reduce my stress level that I wonder what was more effective: my anti-depressant, or my disease-modifying-medication (Gilenya).


Thank you all, this is a really important topic!  I would be happy to discuss my experience with anti-depressants if anyone needs advice.
Love to all!
MSloan 


No comments:

Post a Comment