Wednesday, January 6, 2016

ChatMS - 1/4/2016

First ChatMS of the year!  Please feel free to copy/paste the questions to your own blog, and remember to keep things moving and the conversation going!  Happy New Year, everyone!

1) There is a phrase that says “MS stops connections, but connections stop MS”. What are your thoughts on this statement?

This is absolutely true!  There is no hope for the progression of treatment if we don't talk about it and stand together as a population worth fighting for.  We are a minority.  And science will ignore us if we don't make a stand.  I think that hearing loss destroys more connections, what makes MS destroy connections is the lack of tolerance or understanding.

2) Where have you made the most MS connections? Are they other MSers, MS Society contacts, etc.? 

Definitely online doing these twitter chats.  I like to think there are folks that read my blog... or am I writing to no one??  oOo....

3) Having connections means you have a support system. We know support is a huge asset. Are you happy with your support system?

Hahahaha, what support system?  I am sorry and don't want to pull the pity card, but my MS makes everyone I know uncomfortable.  Instead of asking me genuinely how I'm doing, they give me a pitiful look and change the subject.  I always end up making THEM feel better when I talk about the everyday struggle.  So I don't really talk about it.  When I have a flare it makes me feel very lonely.  The only reason anyone in my real everyday life knows about my right side blindness (it is improving, albeit very slowly!!) is because I had to cut out of work early to see the opthalmologist.  I didn't want to tell anyone and the manager spilled the beans.  Would have lied and said it was a baby thing but I don't want to curse her along the way.  Can you tell this is a sore spot for me?

4) There may be MSers close by that we don’t know about. Let’s make connections. Where is everyone from?

North Bay of California, represent!!

5) Some may do this already, but what would you think about doing a Pen-Pal type program with other MSers?

I would love to have an MS penpal - - but I have to be honest.  I see an awful lot of MS folks who complain on a daily basis.  Do I have daily struggles?  Yeah, but if I focus on it as being an everyday struggle, it will be.  When I have a good day, it is a great day!  So focusing on the not-so-good days as if it's something to wear like a badge of honor, feels backwards to me.  I would want to pen-pal with someone who appreciates what's positive instead of always focusing on the negative, and posting about how they 'wish they could shed the skin of ms every day.'  When it affects you every day, that's one thing - if you haven't gotten to that point yet, this is why some of us have the issue in question 3.  We are not pitiful, don't make us out to be! 

6) Would you be willing to travel if an event was put together for an MSer get together? If so, how far?

I would be ... as long as it wasn't too disruptive to work!  This will be more difficult with a baby this year though.

7) How important is making MS connections to you? Do you think it’s beneficial? Or would you rather lay low?

I think MS connections are crucial to discussing depression and other struggles.  It is also beneficial for all people with MS to stand together as a community - if we all lay low, we might not be viewed as weaklings, but we won't accomplish anything! 

8) What could be done to further help MSers make more connections, and grow their support system?

The biggest thing that would help MSers make connections would be to END THE ADA STIGMA.  I would love to shout from the rooftops that I advocate for this disease and live with it daily - - but doing so might mean affecting job opportunities in the future, or even affecting my current professional relationships because of ADA.  It's viewed as a progressive and debilitating disease, and while those things are both true it is also one of the most progressively researched diseases as well.  It is no longer a death sentence and there are so many treatments to help give sufferers a normal life.  I want to talk about it, we all should talk about it, stop the stigma!!

Love to all!
MSloan

No comments:

Post a Comment